Bitter Orange is published in paperback in the UK today. I love seeing that little penguin in the top right-hand corner.
To celebrate, I’m giving away a few signed copies. You can enter one or all of these:
- I’ll be giving away a signed copy to a UK-based subscriber of my newsletter. Sign up here.
- Another signed copy will go to anyone who follows me on Twitter and retweets my pinned tweet. Visit my Twitter feed here, or @ClaireFuller2
- Two signed copies will go to anyone who follows me on Instagram, and tags a bookish friend or two in the comments of my latest post. Find me @WriterClaireFuller
I can only post to UK addresses. All competitions close on Sunday 12th May.
Bitter Orange is published today (October 9) in the USA and Canada. And to celebrate I’m giving away one set of all three of my novels: Our Endless Numbered Days, Swimming Lessons, and a hardback copy of Bitter Orange (with its US cover).
To enter, just visit Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, and follow the instructions there. The competition is open worldwide.
The Canadian cover, from House of Anansi, is almost the same as the UK version.
Early US reviews have been great:
Kirkus (starred review)
“In the vein of Shirley Jackson’s bone-chilling The Haunting of Hill House, Fuller’s disturbing novel will entrap readers in its twisty narrative, leaving them to reckon with what is real and what is unreal. An intoxicating, unsettling masterpiece.”
“In her new novel, Claire Fuller enhances the mystery with luscious detail: sights of ghosts, smells of overripe fruit, echoes of Cara wailing. The plot’s movements are rendered secondary, at least in the early going, to the atmosphere, and it’s to the novel’s benefit; with sensations so alive on the page, you’re constantly kept on your toes, attuned to the mania. You’ll ask, beguiled: What’s really going on here?”
Buy Bitter Orange.
Bitter Orange is published in the USA a week today (9th October). Tin House, my US publisher is running a competition for US readers to win a Bitter Orange hamper if you pre-order the book before publication day. And you can get a 30% discount off the full price if you order online through Powell’s Books, using the discount code ORANGE. Once you’ve pre-ordered, send your proof of purchase to firstname.lastname@example.org to be entered into the competition.
The book is already out in the UK and Germany, and you can read what reviewers have been saying.
In the US it’s been appearing on lots of round up lists of what to read in October, including:
- Time Magazine: “Unsettling and eerie, Bitter Orange is an ideal October chiller.”
- Entertainment Weekly: “Fuller (Swimming Lessons) weaves between two timelines in this story of a love triangle hurtling toward tragedy. Set predominantly in the English countryside circa 1969, Bitter Orange explores attraction, obsession, and the power of storytelling.”
- NYLON: “Fuller is a master of the quietly eerie; she’s excellent at creating an aura of pervasive dread—and sustaining it till the very last page.”
- Lit Hub: “A beguiled introvert, a manor in disrepair, and other people’s secrets? Easy sell.”
- Vulture: by author Tana French – “Reviews say the book has an unreliable narrator, beautiful writing, and hints of Shirley Jackson and Daphne du Maurier. No way can I resist that.”
If you like the sound of that, pre-order from Powell’s Books, or anywhere else you fancy. Just keep your receipt.
My US publisher, Tin House, and Literary Hub, a daily news source for all things literary, have got together to offer US book clubs the chance to win a Swimming Lessons Book Club in a Box.
The prize is some earl grey tea (my favourite), biscuits (or cookies to all you Americans), book club questions, signed book plates, and a Skype call with me when your group meets to discuss the book.
Find out more about Swimming Lessons, or contact me if your book club is already reading Swimming Lessons and you’d like some questions.
Swimming Lessons, my second novel is published in the UK today in hardback, ebook (Fig Tree / Penguin) and audio (Audible). As you can imagine I’m a bit over-excited.
There have already been some lovely reviews, with The Sunday Times saying my stories are “thrilling, transporting, delicately realised and held together by a sophisticated sense of suspense.
Wendy at Little Bookness Lane, a UK book blogger is giving away a copy of Swimming Lessons. The competition is available worldwide, and closes at midnight (GMT) on Friday 27th January. Click here to see how to enter.
Or if you don’t trust your luck, Swimming Lessons is available to buy in most independent bookshops, in most branches of Waterstones, and online. The audio version is available from Audible.